Get a tidy home in less time with these commercial break cleaning chores.
Life is hectic. Between getting the kids up and ready for school, work, errands, cooking, and volunteer or community activities, it can be exhausting, too. Some days you just want to come home and unwind by watching television, but as soon as you begin to relax, there comes the guilt.
This house isn’t going to clean itself, you think. “I should be doing chores, not watching TV.
I have some good news: with this list of things to clean during commercial breaks you can do both, and you’ll be surprised at how much you get accomplished without giving up your favorite shows.
Commercial Breaks Add Up To Serious Cleaning Time
Since 2009, the combined length of commercial breaks during a 1-hour show on broadcast television has increased to over fourteen minutes. On cable channels, it’s slightly longer: a full 15 minutes each hour.
With the average American watching five hours of television each day, that could translate into an hour of cleaning during commercial breaks, with time leftover for potty and snack runs, too!
Use the organized printable checklist at the bottom of this entry to turn TV time into productive time. Even the kids can help!
Commercial Break Cleaning Chores
- Start a load of laundry.
- Switch laundry loads from washer to dryer.
- Wipe detergent spills off of the washing machine.
- Wash the dryer’s lint screen with soap and water.
- Wipe spills off of detergent and softener bottles.
- Dust laundry room blinds or windowsills.
- Dust laundry room baseboards.
- Spray and wipe kitchen counters.
- Spray and wipe appliance fronts.
- Purge a shelf in the refrigerator of expired foods.
- Wipe a shelf in the refrigerator.
- Change the liner in the refrigerator crisper drawer.
- Clean crumbs out of the cutlery drawer.
- Clean crumbs out of toaster or toaster oven.
- Wipe stove knobs and oven door handle.
- Wipe spills in bottom of oven (or soak until next commercial).
- Deodorize the garbage disposal with ice or lemon slices.
- Clean the inside of the microwave.
- Unload a rack in the dishwasher.
- Load a rack in the dishwasher.
- Spray and wipe kitchen cupboard fronts.
- Wash the coffee pot.
- Get coffee maker ready for tomorrow.
- Wipe kitchen table.
- Wipe kitchen chairs.
- Microwave wet sponge to sanitize it.
- Clean the sink.
- Polish the kitchen faucet.
- Dust kitchen blinds or windowsills.
- Dust kitchen baseboards.
- Toss junk mail.
- Take out the kitchen garbage.
- Scoop the cat’s litter box.
- Clean a toilet.
- Dust bathroom light fixtures.
- Dust bathroom baseboards.
- Wipe fronts of bathroom cupboards and drawers.
- Clean a bathroom sink.
- Clean the bathroom mirror.
- Clean the vanity.
- Polish faucets and fixtures.
- Clean hair out of shower or tub drain.
- Soak toothbrushes in 50-50 vinegar water to disinfect.
- Pull hair out of hairbrushes and wash.
- Wash hair combs.
- Dust bathroom blinds or windowsills.
- Spray shower with daily shower spray.
- Clean soap dish.
- Refill liquid soap dispenser.
- Sweep bathroom.
- Change bathroom towels.
- Empty bathroom trash.
- Restock toilet paper.
- Strip a bed.
- Put a clean bottom sheet on a bed.
- Put a clean top sheet on a bed.
- Put on clean pillowcases.
- Take dishes in bedroom to kitchen.
- Straighten nightstand.
- Dust bedroom blinds or windowsills.
- Dust horizontal surfaces in bedroom.
- Dust bedroom baseboards.
- Vacuum around base of bedroom walls.
- Vacuum high-traffic area in bedroom.
- Empty bedroom trash.
- Straighten shoes in bedroom closet.
- Put clothes on closet floor into hamper.
- Vacuum closet floor.
- Take empty hangers from closet to laundry room.
- Clean out a purse or handbag.
- Vacuum beneath sofa cushions.
- Run a lint roller over sofa to remove pet hair and crumbs.
- Purge old magazines from coffee table.
- Organize top of coffee table.
- Take dishes from TV room to kitchen.
- Dust walls of TV room.
- Wipe TV remote with disinfectant.
- Straighten DVDs.
- Dust TV room blinds or windowsills.
- Dust horizontal surfaces in TV room.
- Dust TV screen.
- Dust entertainment center.
- Dust lamps in TV room.
- Wipe light switches with disinfecting cloth.
- Dust baseboards in TV room.
- Vacuum around base of TV room walls.
- Vacuum high-traffic areas in TV room.
- Water houseplants.
- Pinch dead leaves off of houseplants.
- Dust cold air returns.
- Soak toys in sink of water with 1 cup vinegar.
- Shake entrance mats outside.
- Sweep front step.
- Pick up shoes near front door.
- Wipe front door handle.
- Wipe doorbell or door knocker.
- Sweep screen door to dislodge dust.
- Get trash out of your car.
- Wipe car dashboard and steering wheel.
- Wipe out car’s cupholders.
- Wipe car’s inside door handles and arm rests.
Commercial break cleaning has another bonus beyond fitting housework into otherwise idle time: it gets you off the sofa regularly, too. If you’re like me, that means less snacking and more moving, and that’s always a good thing.
So go ahead and enjoy your favorite shows without guilt. With commercial break cleaning, you can watch TV and have a clean home, too!
Commercial Break Cleaning Checklist
Ready for a printable? This checklist is two pages, so you might want to print separate sheets then slide them into a plastic page protector. That way you can use a dry erase marker to check off commercial cleaning break chores and see at a glance just how much progress you’ve made!
More great checklists: