As an allergy-sufferer, I love tiled floors but as a busy housewife? Not so much. Oh, sure, it’s easy enough to surface clean tile floors: sweep or vacuum, then mop. But the grout? Oh, how I hate cleaning the grout. Or, rather, I used to hate cleaning it until I figured out three easy ways how to clean grout on tile floors, shower walls, even the kitchen back-splash.
How To Clean Grout With All-Natural Cleaners
As with most all-natural cleaning methods, this one swaps harsh chemicals for elbow grease. So plan to spend time, but very little money, to get your grout looking great again.
You will need:
- Toothbrush (electric is wonderful!)
- Baking soda
- Spray bottle with warm water
- Small bowl of warm water
- Plenty of cleaning rags or microfiber cloths.
- Spray the shower walls with warm water and wipe off with some of the cleaning rags to loosen surface grime.
- Add the baking soda to the small bowl of warm water to make a thick paste.
- Using the toothbrush, and working in small sections, scrub the baking soda paste into the grout lines. This is where the elbow grease helps… or the electric toothbrush.
- Spray the section with warm water and wipe it clean before moving on to the next one.
How To Clean Grout With Non-Toxic Cleaners
You will need:
- Old toothbrush (again, electric is great)
- Warm water
- Oxygenated bleach (like Oxy Clean)
- Plenty of cleaning rags or microfiber cloths
- Mix a strong solution of oxygenated bleach and warm water. Do NOT put it in a spray bottle or it’ll explode!
- Using the toothbrush, spread the oxygenated bleach water on the grout lines.
- Let sit 15 minutes.
- Scrub lightly with the toothbrush, then wipe away with clean, damp rags.
- Be sure to mop your floor thoroughly once you’re finished!
Once your grout is clean, you’ll want to keep it nice. Be sure to read my tips on how to prevent shower mold and mildew to keep your grout, as well as your shower curtain or doors, clean.
Do you have any other tips on how to clean shower, floor or back-splash grout? Share in the comments below!
Equipment I Use:
Get my eBook 30 DAYS TO A CLEAN AND ORGANIZED HOUSE
• 10 of my homemade cleaning mix recipes
• Learn the secrets to organizing without going insane
• Reviewers describe it as "Life changing!" Just $3.99 on Amazon. Get your copy HERE
No Kindle? No problem! Get the free app here and start reading on your smartphone, tablet, PC or Mac today!