Regular HWHT readers know I’m fanatic about minimizing our family’s chemical exposure, so homemade all purpose cleaner has become one of the most-used tools in my cleaning arsenal.
Now, when I say “all purpose cleaner” I mean it: I use this on just about every surface in my home. For those of you with granite or marble counters, there’s an acid-free formula below, too!
Homemade All Purpose Cleaner
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- The juice of one lemon
- 5-10 drops lemon essential oil
1. In a bowl, stir the baking soda into the water until it’s completely dissolved.
2. Add the remaining ingredients in order.
3. Transfer to a spray bottle.
4. Shake gently before each use.
- It’s important you do the steps in the order provided, or the baking soda will react with the acidic ingredients and make a mess.
- Do not use the recipe above on granite or marble. Use the one below, instead.
Thanks to the lemon and vinegar, this cleaner has germ-killing properties. It also leaves a lovely scent and a nice, streak-free shine. I like to keep a bottle of this stuff under my kitchen counter with a microfiber cloth for quick touch-ups. There’s another one in my guest bathroom where I can pop in to tidy things if company drops in.
This homemade all purpose cleaner is great to use in just about every room of the house. If you’ve been doing my daily house cleaning routine, or any of the other printable cleaning routines, you’ll find it cuts through greasy fingerprints on door jambs and appliance fronts, vanities and light switch plates.
What really surprised me, though, was how clean it left my kitchen table. Then I realized, the recipe for this homemade all purpose cleaner isn’t that different from what I use to remove sticky wax buildup from furniture. See, it really IS all purpose… except for granite. For that, use the following homemade mix.
Homemade Granite-Safe All Purpose Cleaner
- 1/2 cup isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 tsp. liquid dish detergent
- Essential oils (optional)
1. Combine the ingredients in a spray bottle.
2. If using essential oils, add just enough to counteract the smell of the rubbing alcohol. (It will fade quickly after spraying, so the use of oils is purely optional.) Some combinations I enjoy are: orange and sage; lavender and peppermint; orange and rosemary; or cedar and chamomile.
3. Shake gently before each use.
4. KEEP AWAY FROM FLAME!!!
To use either mix, just spray on and wipe clean with a lint-free cloth. And, while this works fine on floors, I’d really recommend using a homemade cleaner for all flooring types instead.
Get my eBook 30 DAYS TO A CLEAN AND ORGANIZED HOUSE
• 10 of my homemade cleaning mix recipes
• Learn the secrets to organizing without going insane
• Reviewers describe it as "Life changing!" Just $3.99 on Amazon. Get your copy HERE
No Kindle? No problem! Get the free app here and start reading on your smartphone, tablet, PC or Mac today!