The recipe for how to make marinated artichoke hearts isn’t as difficult as the steep store-bought stuff would lead you to believe. In fact, it’s one of the easier recipes I have! Even better, it only takes 10 minutes and a handful of things you probably already have in your kitchen. So why the exorbitant expense at the store for a teeny, tiny little jar? Beats me.
Now, although they’re super easy and quick to make, I still like to double, and sometimes triple, the recipe. The extras freeze well, and since there’s enough oil in the recipe they never get frostbitten. (Or maybe that’s just because they don’t stick around long in our house.) Or skip the freezer and store them in the fridge in an air-tight jar topped off with olive oil for up to a year!
- 1 9-ounce box or bag of frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
- ⅓ cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon red chile pepper flakes, crushed
- 2 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice (no substitutions)
- Rinse the artichoke hearts under cold water and pat dry.
- Over medium heat, combine artichokes, olive oil, salt, thyme, oregano and crushed chile flakes in a non-reactive sauce pan.
- Cover and cook 10 minutes, removing lid to stir occasionally.
- Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- Serve immediately, or store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
These make thoughtful hostess gifts, since many home cooks don’t know how to make marinated artichoke hearts but do know the jars of them at the grocery store are so pricey.
Or keep them for yourself to use in salads, on anti-pasto platters, or in my Mediterranean Stuffed Chicken recipe. If you don’t eat them all straight out of the pan, that is. They’re one of my big weaknesses, I’ll admit!
Equipment I Use To Make These:
Article continues below
Have you bought my cookbook? Autumn: A Season of Easy Cooking features 3 MONTHS of weekly dinner menus, 3 MONTHS of grocery lists, 3 MONTHS of cooking plans. You'll save money by reducing food waste, eat seasonally, and spend LESS THAN 20 MINUTES COOKING DINNER each night! Get it from Amazon here!