This carrot and bacon soup combines the sweet, fresh taste of carrots with the smoky saltiness of bacon. Plus, it’s a complete meal when served with crusty bread!
Carrots were on sale for a great price when I first decided to make carrot and bacon soup, and I’m so glad I bought enough to make it again the next night, too! The bacon adds a wonderful depth of flavor, and the way I see it, all of those healthy carrots counterbalance the guilt I should feel for eating bacon (but don’t).
Unfortunately, it doesn’t freeze well because it never achieves the right consistency after thawing. That’s okay in our house, since there’s none left over when I make it. Note that I’m providing both stove-top and crockpot instructions, for those of you who like to “set it and forget it” in the morning.
- 6 slices bacon
- 6 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon fresh, chopped thyme (or ½ tsp. dried thyme)
- salt to taste
- sour cream or Greek yogurt (optional)
- croutons (optional)
- Cook bacon in fry pan until well done. Crumble, and set aside.
- Add carrots, potatoes, onion and chicken stock to large stock pot. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to simmer. (Or, place these ingredients and half of the bacon in the crock pot.)
- Simmer vegetables on the stove until very soft, around 40 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in half of the bacon midway through cooking. (In crock pot, add thyme and cook on HIGH 4-5 hours or on LOW 6-8 hours. Do not stir.)
- Transfer in batches to food processor or blender and puree until smooth, or use an immersion blender.
- Serve sprinkled with remaining bacon crumbles, croutons and a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt if desired.
For this recipe, you may want:
Article continues below
Have you bought my cookbook? Autumn: A Season of Easy Cooking features 3 MONTHS of weekly dinner menus, 3 MONTHS of grocery lists, 3 MONTHS of cooking plans. You'll save money by reducing food waste, eat seasonally, and spend LESS THAN 20 MINUTES COOKING DINNER each night! Get it from Amazon here!