Let’s get something clear: I only watch football so I have an excuse to make (and eat) this Stuffed Potato Skins recipe. Oh, sure, I make and serve a bunch of other snacks throughout football season, but these remain my favorite.
And why not? Bacon, Cheddar Cheese, Parmesan cheese, AND potatoes? That’s a flavor touchdown, if you ask me. (Do I get points for at least knowing something about football? No? Fine. Be glad I know how to make football snacks, then.)
- 4 large baking potatoes
- ½ cup sea salt
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 8 slices bacon
- 8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions, sliced OR 1 tbs. chopped chives
- ½ cup sour cream (optional)
- Put the racks on the top and middle third of the oven.
- Put a cookie sheet on the bottom rack.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Scrub the potatoes well. Dry with a towel.
- Use a fork and poke holes all over each potato in about 10 places.
- Put 1 tbsp. olive oil in a bowl. Add ½ tsp. Kosher salt.
- Add the potatoes to the bowl and mix so each potato is coated with oil and salt.
- Put the potatoes on the top rack.
- Bake the potatoes 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon until crispy. Drain, pat dry and crumble.
- Remove the potatoes to a baking rack to cool.
- Remove the cookie sheet.
- Turn the oven up to 475 F.
- Spray the cooled cookie sheet with oil then sprinkle it with the sea salt. This will help keep the potato skins crispy while they cook.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle (about 15 minutes), carefully slice them lengthwise.
- Use a spoon to scoop out the flesh of each potato into a mixing bowl.
- Add the crumbled bacon, shredded cheddar, and chives or sliced green onions to the mixing bowl with the potato flesh and stir well with a fork.
- In a small bowl, combine the rest of the olive oil, Parmesan cheese, Kosher salt, garlic powder, paprika and pepper and brush all over potato skins, inside and out.
- Put the empty skins on the cookie sheet bottom-side up and bake at 475°F for 8 minutes, turn them over and bake an additional 7 minutes scooped side up.
- Remove the skins from the oven and scoop ¼ cup of the potato-bacon mixture into each hollowed-out skin.
- Return the stuffed potato skins to the oven for 2 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Top with sour cream if desired.
There’s no reason to knock yourself out making these on the day you plan to serve them. In fact, I like to bake a bunch of potatoes the day ahead, then scoop the flesh out while they’re warm and make the stuffing, then chill it. The skins themselves keep nicely stacked in a container in the fridge overnight, and the next day I make these.
Then I eat as many of them as I can before my husband does.
Equipment I’ve Used Making These: