I love, love, love tacos! They’re an easy weeknight meal that has all the food groups, and since a “taco bar” lets everyone customize their meal to their preferences, there’s no whining! But rather than shell out for packets of stale-tasting seasoning mix that contain too much sodium and preservatives I can’t pronounce, I keep a jar of this easy homemade mix in the pantry. It’s great for seasoning tortilla soup, too!
We love this with regular beef tacos, but it’s equally delicious using ground turkey or even shrimp. (Mmm… shrimp tacos!) Just be sure to simmer it according to the instructions so the flavor works its way into the meat.
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1/3 cup corn flour (masa)
- 1/3 cup chili powder
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. seasoned salt
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 1/2 tbsp. dried minced onion
- 2 tsp. beef bouillon granules
- 1. Combine all ingredients in a jar and seal. Store in a cool, dry place.
- 2. To make taco meat, add 1 cup water and 1/4 cup mix per pound of ground beef and simmer until most of the liquid is cooked away.