Oven-roasted ratatouille is a wonderful way to use the summer garden’s abundant produce. For those of us trying to cook meatless more often, this can be turned into a hearty main course. So it’s not just good-tasting, it’s good for the budget and the waistline, too!
This recipe calls for yellow summer squash but also works fine with zucchini. I like the fact I can put it together in the morning, then pop it into the oven once the temperatures have cooled off in the evening. You can make it in the crock-pot, also, but it won’t be as pretty. (Then again, your house won’t be as hot!)
Note: Ratatouille is usually made on top of the stove, but I’m lazy. Also, I like the sweet yet deeper flavor that oven-roasting gives vegetables.
- 1 large yellow onion,
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled but whole
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced into ¼" thicknesses
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, sliced into ¼" thicknesses
- 1 sweet red pepper, seeded and sliced into ¼" thicknesses
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1-2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. good quality balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme (or ½ tsp. dried)
- 1 tbsp. minced fresh rosemary (or ½ tsp. dried rosemary, crushed well)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley or basil, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Toss the eggplant slices with 1 tsp. salt and place in colander. Let sit 20 minutes then rinse and pat dry.
- Spray roasting pan with cooking spray or brush with olive oil.
- In large bowl, toss vegetables, including eggplant slices, with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Season to taste, and arrange in roasting pan.
- Roast in 400F oven for 30-45 minutes, or until vegetables begin to take on caramelized color.
- Season again and sprinkle with parsley before serving.
Serve with a crusty loaf of bread and a good cheese for a fabulous meatless meal!
Article continues below
Have you bought my cookbook? Autumn: A Season of Easy Cooking features 3 MONTHS of weekly dinner menus, 3 MONTHS of grocery lists, 3 MONTHS of cooking plans. You'll save money by reducing food waste, eat seasonally, and spend LESS THAN 20 MINUTES COOKING DINNER each night! Get it from Amazon here!