Oven-roasted ratatouille is a wonderful way to use the summer garden’s abundant produce. For those of us trying to cook meatless more often, this can be turned into a hearty main course. So it’s not just good-tasting, it’s good for the budget and the waistline, too!
Get my eBook 30 DAYS TO A CLEAN AND ORGANIZED HOUSE
• 10 of my homemade cleaning mix recipes
• Learn the secrets to organizing without going insane
• Reviewers describe it as "Life changing!" Just $3.99 on Amazon. Get your copy HERE
No Kindle? No problem! Get the free app here and start reading on your smartphone, tablet, PC or Mac today!
This recipe calls for yellow summer squash but also works fine with zucchini. I like the fact I can put it together in the morning, then pop it into the oven once the temperatures have cooled off in the evening. You can make it in the crock-pot, also, but it won’t be as pretty. (Then again, your house won’t be as hot!)
Note: Ratatouille is usually made on top of the stove, but I’m lazy. Also, I like the sweet yet deeper flavor that oven-roasting gives vegetables.
- 1 large yellow onion,
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled but whole
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced into ¼" thicknesses
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, sliced into ¼" thicknesses
- 1 sweet red pepper, seeded and sliced into ¼" thicknesses
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1-2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. good quality balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme (or ½ tsp. dried)
- 1 tbsp. minced fresh rosemary (or ½ tsp. dried rosemary, crushed well)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley or basil, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Toss the eggplant slices with 1 tsp. salt and place in colander. Let sit 20 minutes then rinse and pat dry.
- Spray roasting pan with cooking spray or brush with olive oil.
- In large bowl, toss vegetables, including eggplant slices, with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Season to taste, and arrange in roasting pan.
- Roast in 400F oven for 30-45 minutes, or until vegetables begin to take on caramelized color.
- Season again and sprinkle with parsley before serving.
Serve with a crusty loaf of bread and a good cheese for a fabulous meatless meal!