I first tried this recipe one summer when we grew more strawberries than I knew what to do with. My neighbor happened to drop by just as it was cooling, so I offered her a slice and a cup of coffee. By the time she left, we’d polished off the entire loaf together. I felt so guilty that I wound up making it again that same day so my husband could have some (and I could have more). It’s now a family favorite, and since it freezes well I try to keep some on hand. Since second-harvest strawberries are now coming on, I hope you give this recipe a try, and that it becomes a favorite of yours, too!
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, cored and chopped
- 1. Preheat oven to 350F.
- 2. Spray an 8x4 inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- 3. In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- 4. In bowl of stand mixer, beat applesauce for 20 seconds. Add sugar and beat until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, followed by Greek yogurt and vanilla.
- 5. Stir in flour mixture until just combined.
- 6. Fold in strawberries.
- 7. Spoon into loaf pan and smooth top.
- 8. Bake at 350F for 1 hour, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 9. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes, then loosen edges with spatula and turn onto baking rack to cool
By the way, this recipe for Strawberry Bread goes wonderfully with chamomile tea!