Not long ago, I read about a crime ring that stole thousands of dollars of Tide laundry detergent. If you ask me, the real crime is how expensive that stuff is! Sure, it comes in a pretty orange bottle but other than that, soap is soap and its only purpose is to get clothes clean, which it can do inexpensively if you make your own laundry detergent. Here’s how.
You’ll need the following ingredients:
- 1 bar Fels Naptha soap
- 1 cup washing soda (not baking soda!)
- 1 cup Borax
- Essential oils (optional, but nice for fragrance)
How to make homemade laundry detergent
- Grate the Fels Naptha on a cheese grater using the large holes.
- Combine all three ingredients in a plastic container with a lid. (I use an old ice cream bucket. We have a ton of those for some reason. Ahem.) Be careful when pouring the powders into the bucket, because you don’t want to inhale them.
- Add essential oils for fragrance if you’d like. The Fels Naptha has a nice clean scent on its own, but sometimes I like adding lemon or lavender to change things up.
- Put the lid on and shake the heck out of it.
Using it is simple, even in High Efficiency machines: shake the bucket every time before use to make sure the ingredients are well-mixed, then add 1 tablespoon to the water as your machine fills (more for extra dirty stuff) before adding your clothes. That’s it!
Things you might need: