What you see here is our “Out the Door Rack”, as we call it: an old plastic shoe organizer that I had laying around. By hanging it on the door of our coat closet — conveniently on our way to the garage — I made our morning departures so much more pleasant. We don’t just store our keys and wallets there, though. Oh, no indeed. This thing is filled with the stuff we used to forget in our rush to get out of the house, not just in the morning. Like,
- Outgoing mail.
- Signed permissions slips and money for field trips.
- Spare keys to our vehicles, so we always know where they are.
- Lint rollers for quick touch-ups since our cats seem to love us most when we’re wearing dark clothing.
- Cameras to capture memories when we’re going somewhere fun.
- Spare batteries and memory cards for the cameras.
- Sunscreen, because if I didn’t put it there my son would never remember to take it when he goes to the pool.
- A flashlight in case the power goes out and we need to see in the garage.
Since we’re all in the habit now of using our “Out the Door Rack” when we leave, even on short errands, it’s also a great place to clip shopping lists, reminders and sweet little love notes to my husband and kids.
Article continues below
Have you bought my cookbook? Autumn: A Season of Easy Cooking features 3 MONTHS of weekly dinner menus, 3 MONTHS of grocery lists, 3 MONTHS of cooking plans. You'll save money by reducing food waste, eat seasonally, and spend LESS THAN 20 MINUTES COOKING DINNER each night! Get it from Amazon here!