Homemade Hamburger or Hot Dog Buns (Bread Machine)
Cooks in Serves 12
- 1 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons yeast
- Add ingredients to bread machine in order advised by the manufacturer. (Usually liquids first, then solids with yeast and sugar on top.) Select the \"Dough\" setting and start the machine.
- Remove dough from machine after first rise. Transfer dough to a floured surface and shape into a 12-inch long log.
- Slice the log into 12 equal pieces. Roll into balls and lightly flatten the top for hamburger buns, or into 6-inch ovals for hot dog buns.
- Grease a baking sheet. Place rolls on it and cover with a towel. Let rise in a draft-free location until doubled (about 30 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Bake buns 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.