White Chicken Chili
Cooks in Serves 4
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into half-inch chunks OR
- 2 cups of cooked chicken
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp. flour (I use spelt)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 15-oz. can fire-roasted tomatoes (I use Muir Glen)
- 1 4-oz can diced green chilies
- 1 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon (or more) cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon (or more) chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 15-oz cans cannelini or other white beans, drained
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Sour cream (optional)
- Cheddar cheese, grated (optional)
- Avocado, diced (optional)
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat.
- If using raw chicken, cook it in the oil for 4 minutes, stirring regularly, until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add onion and saute until translucent.
- Sprinkle flour over contents of sauce pan and stir for one minute.
- Slowly stir in chicken broth. Bring to simmer.
- Meanwhile, blend tomatoes and green chilies in a blender.
- Add tomato-chili mixture to sauce pan.
- If using cooked chicken, stir it into saucepan.
- Stir in garlic powder, cumin, oregano and chili powder.
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in beans.
- Salt to taste.
- Simmer on low 20 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro, a dollop of sour cream, cheddar cheese and diced avocado if desired.