Why would anyone want to know how to make homemade air freshener? Because many commercial air fresheners contain harsh chemicals, including nerve-numbing agents that block your sense of smell and volatile organic compounds (VOC’s) linked to cancer. Some also contain allergens as well as phthalates, which have been associated with reproductive abnormalities and shouldn’t be used by pregnant women or children.
So, really, the question is: why would anyone want to spray that stuff around their home?
For a light fragrance, try my homemade air freshener spray. But when you want a longer-lasting fragrance, or have a musty room you’d like to freshen up, these pots of homemade gel air freshener are easy to make. They’re great to give as gifts, too!
For this homemade air freshener gel you will need:
- 20 drops of your favorite essential oil(s)
- 2 tbsp. salt
- Liquid food coloring (optional)
- 4 packets of plain, unflavored gelatin
- Empty glass food jars with screw-on lids*
- Bring 1 cup water to boil over high heat.
- Once boiling, remove from heat and gently stir in essential oils, salt and liquid food coloring (if using).
- Continue stirring while carefully sprinkling the gelatin into the hot water. Once dissolved, slowly stir in 1 cup of cold water. (Do not stir this in vigorously or it will foam up and create a cloudy gel.)
- Place jars on a towel-covered cookie sheet or board, and carefully pour the gelatin mixture into each jar. Move to a location where they won’t be jostled, and let sit for 2 to 3 days to set up. (They’ll smell very strong during this process, but don’t worry: they fragrance will mellow out once you’ve got the lids on.)
- Decide how many air fresheners you plan to use immediately. Poke five to six holes in those lids using a hammer and nail. Leave the remaining lids without holes to keep their fragrance intact during storage.
*If you want to make the lid attractive, prime and spray-paint it before hammering in the holes. Or cover it with an attractive scrap of thin fabric hot-glued around the rim. Just be careful not to clog the holes with hot-glue!
Equipment I Used:
Get my eBook 30 DAYS TO A CLEAN AND ORGANIZED HOUSE
• 10 of my homemade cleaning mix recipes
• Learn the secrets to organizing without going insane
• Reviewers describe it as "Life changing!" Just $3.99 on Amazon. Get your copy HERE
No Kindle? No problem! Get the free app here and start reading on your smartphone, tablet, PC or Mac today!