You know you should use coupons to save money but, let’s face it, clipping and sorting them is a chore. That doesn’t mean you can’t save money when you go shopping, though. Time your purchases properly, and you can save money even when you leave your coupons at home. Of course, for even bigger savings, stack those coupons on top of sales.
So, what’s on sale this month? Read on to find out.
- National Ice Cream Month – Just about every brand is on sale now.
- 4th of July/BBQ Sales – Soda, hot dogs (National Hot Dog month), hamburgers, ground beef, ribs, brats, buns, baked beans (National Baked Bean month) BBQ sauce, condiments, charcoal, salad dressings, chips and dips.
- Peak butter season – June and July are the best months for butter production, and with so much supply available, stores are marking it down to keep the inventory moving. Butter freezes wonderfully, so stock up when you see a low price.
- Seasonal produce (varies by region) Asian and Bartlett pears, green beans, blueberries, black berries, cantaloupe, cherries, corn, cucumber, eggplant, figs, garlic, grapes, nectarines, red onions, Valencia oranges, peaches, peppers (most varieties), plums, summer squash, tomatoes, watermelon.
- Back to school sales start – If you’re the type who wants your kid to wear the latest fashions, now’s the time to start back-to-school shopping for the best selection. On the other hand, if you’re the type who likes saving money, resist the urge to shop just yet. Better sales start next month, with the steepest discounts at the end of August and early September when most schools have already started.
- School supplies – As with back-to-school clothing, you’ll start to see school supplies going “on sale” any day now and, while the selection will be good (particularly for things like backpacks, Trappers and lunch boxes), the better prices show up next month when the selection starts to get thin.
- Suits – Stores need to make room for the latest fall fashions, so now’s the time when men’s suits get steep discounts.
- Furniture – Manufacturer’s are getting ready to roll out their fall lines, so stores are marking down their inventory.
- Big Appliances – Prices are dropping on microwaves, stoves, and refrigerators.
- Mattresses – Mattress makers offer discounts around holidays, and the 4th of July is no exception.
- Paint – Since most people prefer to open windows when they’re painting, and in most parts of the country July means closed windows and A/C, paint is a good buy now. Don’t worry about buying it for future use: you can take pre-purchased cans back to the store to have them machine-shaken when it’s cooled off enough to get painting.
- Grills and outdoor furniture – Wait until after the 4th of July holiday (and probably the following weekend), and watch the prices drop as stores seek to move their summer-related items and make room for fall decor.
- Older computers – With back-to-school sales just around the corner, electronics stores need to clear older model computers off their shelves to make way for the latest models.
- Video stuff- As with computers, new models are coming out. Digital cameras and video cameras are on sale now.
- Sunscreen, insect repellent, First Aid supplies – With the burn/bite/injury season halfway over, stores need to clear their shelves.
- Shaving needs – With only a few more weeks until many of us retire our swimsuits for the year (assuming we actually braved wearing one), stores need to sell off those items that help keep us politely hair-free. Look for sales on razors, shaving cream or lotion, and even wax strips.
- Swimsuits – With the selection now thoroughly picked-over, swimsuits get steeply discounted this month. Just remember, it’s not a good deal if you don’t fit in it next year!
Get my eBook 30 DAYS TO A CLEAN AND ORGANIZED HOUSE
• 10 of my homemade cleaning mix recipes
• Learn the secrets to organizing without going insane
• Reviewers describe it as "Life changing!" Just $3.99 on Amazon. Get your copy HERE
No Kindle? No problem! Get the free app here and start reading on your smartphone, tablet, PC or Mac today!