Hang this list of quick chores on your fridge. They’re a great way to clean in your spare time. You’ll be amazed at how these little tasks add up to a clean home.
Life is busy. We’re all trying to find ways to squeeze in a little extra cleaning time between work, errands, and cooking. That’s the whole idea behind the original list of one-minute chores and now the new ones below.
Quick Chores Take About a Minute
The beautiful thing about quick chores is that you can squeeze them in when you’re doing other things, too. Using spare minutes is an important key to being more productive. Plus, most of these are so simple that you can assign them to your kids when they whine about being bored. So, grab the checklist at the bottom of this entry and keep it handy!
How to Do Quick Chores in Your Spare Time
If you have difficulty setting aside a whole afternoon or even just an hour to clean the house, try this approach.
- Try a few while dinner is simmering or baking.
- Do a few when you’re on hold on the phone.
- Waiting for the kids to get ready for school? Knock out a quick chore or two.
- Finish a couple as your coffee brews in the morning.
- Tackle them when there’s a commercial during your favorite TV show.
- Try the bathroom touch-ups while you’re brushing your teeth.
- Need to squeeze in more walking to hit your 10,000 steps? Do several in different rooms.
Quick Chores in Any Room
- Change the battery in your smoke- or carbon monoxide detector — and dust it!
- Empty your vacuum dustbin or change the bag. (Here’s more on how to clean your vacuum cleaner.)
- Dust a room’s air vents and registers.
- Pinch dead leaves off a houseplant.
- Wipe a room’s light bulbs while cool to maximize their efficiency.
- Clean your phone with a disinfecting wipe.
- Vacuum or sweep dust from a dirty window screen.
- Wipe fingerprints on light switches.
Quick Bathroom Chores
- Put a bag filled with white vinegar on the showerhead to get rid of bacteria build-up. (Here’s why you need to clean that shower head.)
- Refill the toilet paper supply.
- Rinse the soap holder to remove scum.
Fast Bedroom Pickup
- Scoop dirty clothes from a bedroom floor.
- Stuff tea bags in your shoes to deodorize them. (Find more ways to deodorize smelly shoes here.)
- Toss bed pillows into the dryer to fluff them.
Speedy Kitchen Chores
- Remove crumbs from an unplugged toaster/toaster oven with a pastry brush.
- Dust the top of your fridge.
- Fill your dishwasher’s rinse aid with white vinegar.
- Get the crumbs out of your silverware drawer.
- Run a lemon slice in your garbage disposal to freshen it.
- Throw away expired food in your fridge.
- Wipe grease from your stove knobs.
Simple Laundry Room Tasks
- Toss your reusable grocery sacks in the washer.
- Wipe your laundry basket with disinfectant.
- Clean the lint off the top of your dryer.
Easy Living Room Tasks
- Plump a couple of pillows.
- Use a lint roller on your sofa/chair cushions. (Here’s how to clean sofa stains if you need to.)
- Collect dirty dishes and take them to the kitchen.
- Straighten picture frames.
Quick Outside Chores
- Brush your pet’s back.
- Wipe down your patio or deck table with a clean, wet cloth.