Sometimes we all get too busy to keep up with housework, but there are five things you should clean daily to keep your home pest- and odor-free.
If you’re following the daily cleaning routine you’ve already taken care of most items. For those times when you skip the routine — or if you’re too short on time/energy to mess with it — make a point of cleaning these five things every single day.
5 Things You Should Clean Daily
1. The dishes. Dirty dishes attract pests and start to stink. Either hand-wash or load them into the dishwasher after every meal. Your kitchen will look cleaner, and you’ll find family members are more likely to deal with their own dishes if the sink is empty.
2. Kitchen counters. Cluttered, dirty counters make cooking an unpleasant task. Deal with the clutter daily and wipe the counters with a homemade all-purpose spray and microfiber cloth. Your kitchen will always look clean!
3. Carpet stains. Spills happen, but they don’t have to become permanent stains if you treat them right away. Once a day make a point of looking over your carpets and treating any fresh spills. A mixture of dish detergent and warm water gets most fresh stains out. For more stubborn or older stains follow the instructions here.
4. The kitchen garbage. Allowing food scraps and other kitchen waste to sit overnight breeds fruit flies and odors. If you hate the thought of taking out a bag that’s only half-full, add the contents of the bathroom trash cans, too. Or buy shorter kitchen bags.
5. Sink basins. Toothpaste splatters and stray hairs can make your bathroom look a mess even when it’s not. As for the kitchen sink, it’s dirtier than a toilet. Use a homemade disinfecting spray on both daily or, at the very least, go over them with a cleaning wipe.
Don’t confuse this with the actual cleaning you don’t have time for. Most of these take just a couple of minutes, but they make a big difference in the look and feel of your home.
Want reminders about other cleaning you should do weekly, monthly, or seasonally? Subscribe to my free weekly newsletter!
This post contains Amazon affiliate links for your shopping convenience. See the Disclosure at the bottom of this page for further info.