People who keep a clean home all share the same secret: they use a daily cleaning routine like this one to get everything tidy in minutes.
Why You Should Clean House Daily
Here’s the thing about cleaning: the more often you do it, the less effort it takes. Tidy people get this. They have a daily cleaning routine to tend their home so it always looks clean and company-ready. They know the difference between good enough and obsessively perfect, and they know where to focus their efforts. (Here are some more habits of people with clean homes. Now you can know them, too.)
But Take Cleaning Shortcuts, Too
People with clean homes also know, it’s okay to take cleaning shortcuts now and then. They know you don’t have to vacuum or mop the entire floor every day — that’s for weekly cleaning sessions. They clean the high-traffic areas and any visible spots or spills.
This Routine Gets Your Home Under Control
If you’re tired of apologizing for the mess when friends visit or feel like you can’t relax in your own home because it’s so unpleasant, my Daily Cleaning Checklist below will turn things around. Your home will look and smell fresh, inviting, and comfortable — and you can get it that way in just 20 minutes each day.
Daily House Cleaning Routine
If you haven’t been in the habit of cleaning or even tidying every day, it may take you longer the first time you go through this list. But, the next day things will go faster. After several days of following the Daily Cleaning Routine, you’ll be able to do it in fewer than 20 minutes. Then people will wonder what your secret is to a constantly clean home!
Daily Bedroom Chores
- Make your bed every morning. A rumpled bed makes even the cleanest rooms look like a disaster.
- Pick up all clothing. Fold or hang clean items and put dirty clothes in your hamper.
- Put away your jewelry, hand lotion, and other items that are on your nightstand.
- Check the floor: vacuum or dry mop high-traffic areas as needed.
Daily Bathroom Cleaning
- Wipe the sink basin clean after you’ve used it.
- Buff water spots from the mirror and faucets.
- Wipe the toilet seat and rim with a disinfecting cloth.
- Spray the shower, tub, and shower door/curtain with the homemade daily shower spray.
- Replace any makeup-stained towels or washcloths with clean ones.
- Check the floor — sweep or dust mop as needed.
Daily Kitchen Tasks
- Empty the dishwasher if it’s full.
- Empty the sink of any dirty dishes, and give it a quick scrub.
- Get your kitchen sponge wet and microwave it for 2 minutes.
- Spray and wipe counters and appliance fronts.
- Corral any clutter into a neat pile to deal with later in the day.
- Use a damp microfiber cloth to wipe up any splatters on the floor.
- Toss the dirty dish towel in the wash, and put out a clean one.
- Give the floor a quick sweep.
Daily Living Room Tidying
- Straighten all pillows and blankets on the sofa, which is one of the room’s focal points.
- Neaten magazines, books, games, and DVDs that are sitting out.
- Wipe crumbs and fingerprints from tabletops.
- Check the floor. Use a carpet sweeper or hand vacuum to pick up any messes from the floor.
Printable Daily House Cleaning Checklist
To make the checklist reusable, slip it into a plastic page protector. Use a dry erase marker to check steps off as you go, then wipe it clean when you’re done, so it’s ready for the next day!
Where to Next?