A daily cleaning routine is a busy person’s best friend. See, here’s the thing about cleaning house: the more often you do it, the less you have to do. That’s why it’s a good idea to have a quick, daily cleaning routine that will keep your house looking beautiful all the time.
Use the printable house cleaning checklist (below) as your daily routine, and you’ll start every day off right.
Daily Cleaning Routine
Even though I’m providing a pretty printable, it’s a good idea to review all of the steps, so you’re familiar with them. Once you’ve done that, consider slipping the printable into a plastic page protector and hanging it on the refrigerator or in a kitchen cupboard. Use a dry erase marker to check steps off as you go, and wipe it clean when you’re done so it’s ready for the next day!
My Promise To You
I’m not going to lie: if you haven’t been in the habit of cleaning or even tidying every day, it may take you an hour or so the first time you go through this list. But I promise the next day things will go faster and, after several days of following the Daily Cleaning Routine you’ll be able to do it in less than 20 minutes.
Here’s another promise: once you make this daily cleaning routine a habit your home will always look clean, even when you haven’t had time to do a thorough job. So if that first couple of days seem like a slog, remember this: you will never have to cringe or apologize for the state of your home when someone drops by after this becomes a habit.
- Make your bed every morning. A rumpled bed will make even the cleanest rooms look like a disaster.
- Pick up all clothing. Clean stuff gets folded or hung, dirty stuff goes in the hamper.
- Put away jewelry, hand lotion and other items on the nightstand.
- Check the floor. Vacuum or dry mop high-traffic area as needed.
- Wipe the sink basin clean after you’ve used it.
- Buff water spots from mirror and faucet.
- Wipe the toilet seat and rim with a disinfecting cloth.
- Spray the shower, tub and shower door/curtain with homemade daily shower spray.
- Replace any makeup-stained towels or washcloths with clean ones.
- Check the floor. Sweep or dust mop as needed.
- Empty the dishwasher if it’s full.
- Empty the sink of any dirty dishes, and give the sink a quick scrub.
- Get your kitchen sponge wet and microwave it for 2 minutes.
- Spray and wipe down counters and appliance fronts.
- Corral any clutter into a neat pile to deal with later in the day.
- Use a damp microfiber cloth to wipe up any splatters on the floor.
- Toss the dirty dishtowel in the wash, and put out a clean one.
- Give the floor a quick sweep.
Living and/or Family Room
- Straighten all pillows and blankets on the sofa, which is one of the room’s major focal points.
- Neaten magazines, books, games and DVDs that are sitting out.
- Wipe away any obvious crumbs and fingerprints from table tops.
- Check the floor. Use a carpet sweeper or hand vacuum to pick up any messes from floor.
Equipment I Recommend For This
I’m providing Amazon links to recommended products below for your shopping convenience. Although I’m an Amazon affiliate, using those links won’t change your price, but your purchase will earn me a tiny commission. Those commissions help me buy the coffee that fuels this blog and my own cleaning schedule.
I use the following cleaning tools for my Daily Cleaning Routine and wholeheartedly recommend them.
- Microfiber cloths
- Spray bottles (for homemade cleaning mixes)
- Vacuum cleaner (see my review here)
- Carpet Sweeper (see my review here)
- Dust mop
To see other equipment I use, check out my Recommended Products page.
Printable Daily Cleaning Routine
Need more help?
More from this blog: