Cleaning doesn’t always mean setting aside an entire day. Even one-minute chores can make a big difference!
Many of us struggle to set aside a half-hour or more daily to clean our homes, and who really wants to give up their entire Saturday to do it? So, here’s some good news: doing one-minute chores throughout the day is an excellent way to get housework done.
So, grab the printable checklist at the end and post it on your refrigerator to use. Or hand the list of one-minute chores to your kids anytime they complain about being bored.
One-Minute Chores to Do Around the House
Quick Chores Can Make a BIG Difference
A minute doesn’t seem like that much time when you’re doing something fun. But think of all those minutes when you’re waiting for everyone to get ready for school.
What about the time spent watching commercials on TV. Now, add in the time you’re on the phone and get put on hold. Or when you’re waiting for the coffee to finish brewing.
Turn those waiting times into working times, and you’ll be surprised at how much cleaner your house looks.
In the Bathroom
Find the free time when… waiting for the tub to fill or drain. While your hair straightener heats. As your facial mask does its thing. While watching the kids play in the bath.
- Change the towels
- Clean the mirror
- Wipe sinks and fixtures
- Tidy the vanity
- Wipe the toilet tank
- Scrub the toilet bowl
In the Entryway
Find the free time when… waiting for the kids to get ready for school. While you’re on the phone. Waiting for a visitor. While the dog does his business.
- Shake out your Welcome Mat
- Clean away cobwebs
- Sweep the front step
- Polish the door’s knobs
- Pick up shoes near the front door
- Sweep the entryway
- Go through coat pockets for trash
- Straighten your door wreath
In the Garage
Find the free time when… waiting for the kids to get in the car. While the car warms up in the morning. Waiting for the kids to get out of the car. While watching the kids play in front of the house.
- Get the trash out of your car
- Clean your car’s cupholders
- Dust your car’s console
- Wipe smudges off the door to the house
- Sweep steps leading into the house
In the Kitchen
Find free time when… the kids are doing homework. You’re waiting for the coffee maker. Dinner is in the oven. You’re on the phone.
- Change the kitchen towels
- Rinse the kitchen sink
- Toss the junk mail
- Wipe fingerprints off an appliance front
- Clean the window over the kitchen sink
- Empty one rack of the dishwasher
- Run ice cubes in the garbage disposal to clean it
- Run hot vinegar down the drain to remove gunk
- Wipe the kitchen table
- Wash your coffee pot
- Wipe the front of kitchen cupboards
- Microwave your wet kitchen sponge to sanitize it
- Wipe up spills in the refrigerator
In the Laundry room
Find the free time when… you’re waiting for the washing machine to finish. You’re on the phone. You just started the dryer.
- Treat a clothing stain
- Wipe the top of your washer and dryer
- Clean lint from the dryer screen
- Wipe spills off of detergent bottles
- Dust lint off of shelves
In the Living Room
Find the free time when… there’s a commercial on. You’re not really into the show that’s playing. The kids are getting ready for bed. You’re waiting for your show to start.
- Dust the coffee table
- Straighten magazines
- Straighten sofa pillows
- Dust your entertainment center
- Wipe TV remotes with a disinfecting cloth
- Pick up toys
- Fold throw blankets
- Dust lampshades
- Fluff throw cushions
In the Home Office
Find the free time when… you’re on hold. A friend is taking their time responding to a text. You’re searching for a word or idea.
- Dust your computer monitor and keyboard
- Empty the paper shredder
- Dust a bookshelf
- Toss ink pens that have dried up
- Dust your desk
- Straighten paperwork into neat piles
- Tidy a drawer
In Any Room
Find the free time when… the school bus is due any minute. You’re ready to go, but no one else in the family is. You’re on the phone. You’ve been sitting too long.
- Empty a trash can
- Wash your pet’s food and water bowls
- Water a plant
- Wipe down a room’s light switches
- Dust a room’s picture frames
- Take magazines or newspapers to the recycling bin
- Dust the horizontal surfaces in a room
- Dust a window blind
- Straighten paper clutter into neat stacks
- Scoop the cats’ litter box
Printable List of One Minute Chores
Click the image below to open a .pdf for printing or to save it to your device.