A woman mopping her laminate floor using homemade floor cleaner in a pink bucket

My Famous No-Rinse, No-Streak Homemade Floor Cleaner

Pinterest Hidden Image

Looking for a homemade floor cleaner recipe you can use on every type of hard flooring? I’ve got you covered. Besides being a no-rinse, non-streaking formula, this also fights germs. Plus, you know what’s in it.

I think we ought to know what’s in the things we use on our household surfaces, and I don’t like when companies aren’t up-front about it. So, I created this DIY floor cleaner recipe and have been using it on my floors for over ten years.

Why These Ingredients Work

• Water helps combine and dilute the other ingredients. Using warm water helps dissolve grime and speeds evaporation, too.

• White vinegar is a natural degreaser which my recipe dilutes using a specific ratio to make it safe to use on marble, granite, or wood floors without etching or fading.

• Rubbing alcohol kills germs and breaks down dirt and grease and speeds up evaporation, which helps prevent streaks. Along with water, it helps dilute the vinegar.

• Dish soap cuts through grease and dirt. Dishwashing liquids like Dawn, Ajax, Sunlight, and Fairy all work well since they are detergent-based. Castile soap is not a good substitute in this DIY cleaner, since it is oil-based and will leave streaks.

• Essential oils are optional and add fragrance, but use the exact amount to avoid streaks.

Homemade No-Rinse Floor Cleaner

My famous homemade floor cleaner is safe for every type of hard flooring when made and used as directed. It eliminates germs, removes grime, and leaves floors streak-free without the need to rinse.
Type of RecipeFloor cleaner
Use AsBucket, Spray
Keywordsfloor care, homemade cleaner

Equipment and Materials

• Spray bottle or bucket
  • Measuring cups

Supplies

In a spray bottle, combine:

• 2 cups warm water
  • 1/2 cup white vinegar
  • 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol isopropyl 70%
  • 3 drops of liquid dish soap
  • 5-10 drops of essential oils optional

Or, in a 1-gallon bucket, combine:

• 10 cups warm water
  • 2.5 cups white vinegar
  • 1.25 cups rubbing alcohol isopropyl 70%
  • 1 teaspoon liquid dish soap
  • 1/2 teaspoon of essential oil optional

Steps

1. Combine the ingredients.
  2. Spray or mop 3-foot sections at a time. There is no need to rinse the floor.
  3. Store any unused homemade floor cleaner in a cool, dark spot. Shake or stir it well to recombine the ingredients before use.

FYI

Do not dilute the recipe or substitute ingredients.
Print This

Tips for Best Results

Vacuum, don’t sweep. Brooms do an awful job getting fine grit off of floors. And when you mop — well, you know what dirt and water make, right? Streaks. So vacuum instead and mop immediately after.

Hard water? Consider using distilled or filtered water in your floor mopping solutions. Unfiltered hard water can leave mineral deposits on your floor which look like streaks.

Not for steam mops! Do not use my DIY floor cleaner recipe with a steam mop or steam cleaner. Turning rubbing alcohol or white vinegar into steam can irritate your eyes and lungs. Steam mops are meant to be used only with water.

Rinse or change your mop head frequently. You won’t get a clean floor with a dirty mop. If you’re using a microfiber pad, switch it after every room. If you’re using a string or sponge mop, rinse it after each section.

Give my homemade floor cleaner a try and let me know how you like it. Then check out my other recipes for DIY cleaning products, too.

Similar Posts

Comment Policy

Comments are moderated. Not all are approved. Submitting a comment means you agree to the Terms of Service.

131 Comments

1. 5 stars
    Thank you so much. Worked amazing on laminate floor and best of all no streaks.

1. Katie Berry says:

Glad to hear you liked it!

2. 5 stars
    Very happy with this recipe, love that I can just mix it up whenever I need it with household staples. Left out the essential oils due to cats. Hardwood and tile floors look great.

3. Koni Purscell says:

Is this safe in a household with a small dog? I’ve been reading about essential oils harming dogs.

1. Katie Berry says:

I have a French Bulldog and two cats, and they’re fine with it. It’s true that some essential oils can be harmful to animals, so you should research any you plan to use.

4. Carolyn Bjorner says:

I’ve read that your not supposed to use vinegar on granite. What am I missing?

Carolyn B

1. Katie Berry says:

Straight vinegar, no, nor even a 50:50 mix. The amount of vinegar in this recipe is diluted so greatly, however, that it does not cause etching. If you’re very concerned, you could try using my DIY granite cleaner but I have not tried using that on floors.

5. Nancy Summers says:

5 stars
    Have tried a number of DIY floor cleaner recipes, THIS one is the best! Was also pleasantly surprised that this quantity was enough to clean my whole (very dirty) big kitchen floor ! Thank you! I’ll be checking out everything else on your site!

1. Katie Berry says:

I’m so glad you liked it. It’s my favorite, too!

6. I have ethyl rubbing alcohol, will that work the same?

7. 5 stars
    UnbelIevable! This formula cleaned my grout!! And floors are nice and shiny! Thank you!

You’re welcome!

8. Vicki Moore says:

I was under the impression you could not use water on wood laminate floors. Is it truly safe?

Hi Vicki,
      Most modern laminate is water-resistant, which means you can use a damp mop to clean it — like with the spray bottle method I’ve described. You don’t want to slosh water everywhere, obviously, just as you wouldn’t with a hardwood floor or even vinyl.

9. Bobby Powell. says:

5 stars
    I just bought a Vorfruende spray mop with a refillable bottle.
    I used your recipe, (cut it in half), and added a few drops of Lemon Essential Oil.
    Just mopped the kitchen floor, and WOW!
    It worked fantastic. My how how mopping has changed!

1. Katie Berry says:

So glad to hear it, Bobby!

10. JodiAnnie says:

I bought a floor mopping robot. How much of the cleaner would I use in this.

Hi JodiAnnie,
      There’s no need to dilute it, so just fill the robot’s tank. Mine takes about a cup for a full tank, and I save the rest for the next mopping session.

11. The manufacturer of my new laminate floor says not to use vinegar on them….any thoughts. I have always used vinegar to clean, but I am not sure at this point. Thanks for your thoughts!

Hi Dd,
      If it’s against the manufacturer’s advice, then I’d try something else. Sam’s Club makes a fantastic, affordable laminate floor cleaner. It’s the pink one.

12. Hi, can you use different percentages of rubbing alcohol? Or does it need to be the 70%? So in other words would a 91% work?

Hi Julie,
      I recommend using 70% rubbing alcohol because it’s what’s most commonly available in stores. It’s also more affordable. If you have 91% on hand, you can certainly try it — but I’d recommend mixing up a small amount of the homemade floor cleaner to test whether the higher percentage causes such rapid evaporation that it’s too difficult to clean with.

13. Ruth Lanton says:

If you have stronger alcohol (90% instead of 70%), it’s easy enough to use slightly less alcohol and slightly more water. I haven’t done the math on paper to confirm it, but I’d guestimate that using 7 ounces 90% alcohol and 1 ounce water should be about the same as one cup of 70% alcohol.

14. Laurie E. says:

How do I use this cleaner with my Braava Jet Mop? Do I use it straight up or just a couple of cap fulls of the solution?

Also I couldn’t find distilled vinegar so I sutstituted a equal amount of fresh squeezed lemon juice.

1. Katie Berry says:

Lemon juice is not an acceptable substitute. It’s citric acid while vinegar is acetic acid. Citric acid can damage some types of flooring, and will probably damage your Braava. It will also leave streaks and may attract pests.

When you are able to find distilled vinegar — which is just white vinegar that’s available in grocery stores — you can fill the Braava reservoir with the mixture undiluted. After your robot mop has run, drain the reservoir instead of leaving the mixture in there.

15. If this can be used on laminate and wood floors, could I make a spray bottle to wipe down my kitchen cabinets?

1. Katie Berry says:

Hi Holly, you could use it for that. But, since it contains rubbing alcohol, it’s dangerous to use around flames. I’d recommend my homemade all-purpose cleaner instead.