Baja Sliders with Green Chile Mayo feature a snappy blend of Tex-Mex spices and bold flavor in a little burger that’s big on taste.
Even burger purists — who insist the best burgers are just beef flavored with salt and pepper — have raved about these.
Now, don’t get me wrong: I love a traditional burger, too. I also love cheeseburgers, bacon burgers, and these Black Bean Burgers. In short: I love burgers of any kind!
Sometimes, I’ll make several kinds at once and serve them with and without buns throughout the week. Let me tell you, after a night with my Book Club, there’s nothing quite like a burger patty with a fried egg on top to satisfy the hunger that a good literary discussion (and a lot of wine) creates.
But deep in the middle of grilling season, I start wishing for something different. That’s how I came up with this Baja Sliders with Green Chile Mayo recipe. (There may have been wine involved before that, too.)
I also had a craving for Mexican food, so I figured why not combine the two? Mixing ground beef with some grated onion, minced jalapeño, and spices produced a juicy, flavorful blend that I formed into slider-style patties and served on sliced rolls.
But still, something was missing. Oh, the taste was fantastic, and the addition of tomato, onion, and avocado was spot on, yet I was sure I could take it over the top with the right condiment.
Sure enough, after stirring some diced green chiles, a dollop of mayonnaise, some cilantro, lime zest and a splash of freshly squeezed lime juice I had the swoon-worthy flavor I wanted.
Not into mayo? Whip up some authentic guacamole instead!
These Baja Sliders with Green Chile Mayo have become such a favorite that I have friends who ask me to make them when we get together for cookouts.
I’m happy to oblige — they’re one of my favorites, too!
Baja Sliders with Green Chile Mayo
- 2 lbs. ground beef 80/20 recommended
- 1/4 medium white onion grated
- 1 large fresh jalapeno seeded, minced
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne
- 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 12 dinner rolls slider-size
Green Chile Mayo
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 4-oz can diced green chilis drained well
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro leaves minced
- 1 tsp lime zest freshly grated
- 1 tsp lime juice freshly squeezed
- red onion sliced
- tomato sliced
- avocado sliced
Make the sliders
- Combine ground beef, grated onion, minced jalapeno and seasonings in a large bowl. Dip your hands in cold water to keep the meat from sticking to them then shape the mixture into 12 patties roughly 1 inch thick and 3 inches in diameter (or the size of your dinner rolls). Press the tip of your thumb into the top of one side so burgers will remain flat while cooking.
- To grill: Oil and preheat grill. Place sliders directly over high heat and grill 3 minutes per side for medium or to desired doneness.To cook on stovetop: Preheat pan over medium-high heat. Spray liberally with cooking spray. Cook burgers 4 minutes per side. Do NOT flatten them while cooking!
Make the Green Chile Mayo
- While the burgers cook, combine the mayo, cilantro, lime zest and lime juice in a small bowl. Refrigerate until burgers are ready.
- Spread the Green Chile Mayo on both halves of the dinner rolls then add a slider patty and top with tomato, onion, and avocado slices.