Baja Sliders with Green Chile Mayo feature a snappy blend of Tex-Mex spices and a big, bold, beefy flavor that everyone loves!
Even burger purists — who insist the best burgers are just beef flavored with salt and pepper — have raved about these. That’s why I call them sliders: so they can enjoy the fantastic flavors without admitting that they’re wrong.
Sometimes, I’ll make several kinds at once and serve them with and without buns throughout the week. Let me tell you, people, after a night drinking wine with my Book Club there’s nothing quite like a burger patty with a fried egg on top to satisfy the hunger that a good literary discussion (and a lot of wine) creates.
But deep in the middle of grilling season, I start wishing for something different. That’s how I came up with this Baja Sliders with Green Chile Mayo recipe. (There may have been wine involved before that, too.) I was in the mood for big flavors to wake up my taste buds.
I also had a craving for Mexican food, so I figured why not combine the two? Mixing ground beef with some grated onion, minced jalapeño, and spices produced a juicy, flavorful blend that I formed into slider-style patties and served on sliced rolls.
But still, something was missing. Oh, the taste was fantastic, and the addition of tomato, onion, and avocado was spot on, yet I was sure I could take it over the top with the right condiment.
Sure enough, after stirring some diced green chiles, a dollop of mayonnaise, some cilantro, lime zest and a splash of freshly squeezed lime juice I had the swoon-worthy flavor I wanted.
Not into mayo? Whip up some authentic guacamole instead!
These Baja Sliders with Green Chile Mayo have become such a favorite that I have friends who ask me to make them when we get together for cookouts. I’m happy to oblige — they’re one of my favorites, too!
Baja Sliders with Green Chile Mayo
- 2 lbs. ground beef 80/20 recommended
- 1/4 medium white onion grated
- 1 large fresh jalapeno seeded, minced
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne
- 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 12 dinner rolls slider-size
Green Chile Mayo
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 4-oz can diced green chilis drained well
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro leaves minced
- 1 tsp lime zest freshly grated
- 1 tsp lime juice freshly squeezed
- red onion sliced
- tomato sliced
- avocado sliced
Make the sliders
- Combine ground beef, grated onion, minced jalapeno and seasonings in a large bowl. Dip your hands in cold water to keep the meat from sticking to them then shape the mixture into 12 patties roughly 1 inch thick and 3 inches in diameter (or the size of your dinner rolls). Press the tip of your thumb into the top of one side so burgers will remain flat while cooking.
- To grill: Oil and preheat grill. Place sliders directly over high heat and grill 3 minutes per side for medium or to desired doneness.To cook on stovetop: Preheat pan over medium-high heat. Spray liberally with cooking spray. Cook burgers 4 minutes per side. Do NOT flatten them while cooking!
Make the Green Chile Mayo
- While the burgers cook, combine the mayo, cilantro, lime zest and lime juice in a small bowl. Refrigerate until burgers are ready.
- Spread the Green Chile Mayo on both halves of the dinner rolls then add a slider patty and top with tomato, onion, and avocado slices.
Pin this Baja Sliders with Green Chile Mayo recipe