This Three Cheese and Crab Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe is one of my favorite appetizers to serve at holiday gatherings or, for that matter, any time we have friends over for dinner. Who wants to be stuck in the kitchen cooking when they’ve got company? Not me!
That’s why I love appetizer recipes that can be put together in advance and cooked quickly when my guests start arriving. These little bites of creamy, cheesy goodness fit that bill!
Although you can make the stuffing and prep the mushroom caps up to a day in advance, don’t stuff them until shortly before baking.
Three Cheese and Crab Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe
Tips on Cleaning Mushrooms
You’ve probably heard the advice to just mushrooms with a damp cloth rather than washing them. Those in the no-wash camp claim that washing makes mushrooms soggy and, since they’re grown in sterile compost, it isn’t necessary.
Nonsense! Quickly rinsing mushrooms doesn’t waterlog them. Besides, I don’t know about you, but I’d rather not eat compost regardless of whether it’s been sterilized.
If washing them ahead of time, be sure to dry them well then layer them between several thicknesses of paper towels in an air-tight container. The paper towels will keep the mushrooms firm and fresh while also blocking light, which can turn them slimy.
Tips on Stuffing Mushrooms
If you make the stuffing in advance, let it come to room temperature for about 20 minutes or so before proceeding.
To stuff them, transfer the crab and cheese mixture to a plastic resealable bag, squeeze out all the air, then snip off one corner. Squirt a generous amount of stuffing into each mushroom cap, but don’t mound it up too high or the cheese will melt and run all over the place. Guests with greasy, cheesy fingers won’t thank you for that.
Once baked, this Three Cheese and Crab Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe can be kept warm in a chafing dish or popped under a medium broiler for 1-2 minutes to reheat as necessary. I wouldn’t worry about it, though — these are always the first appetizer to disappear once guests see them. They’re that good!
Three Cheese and Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
- 2 lbs. fresh baby portabello mushrooms
- 8 oz. lump crabmeat flaked
- 1 8-oz. package cream cheese softened
- 1 4-oz. package goat cheese softened
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 4 green onions (green and white parts) finely minced
- 1 tbsp. garlic finely minced
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash, pat dry, and remove stems from mushrooms.
- In a bowl, combine crabmeat, cheeses, onions, and garlic until well blended. Transfer this mixture to a plastic resealable bag. Squeeze out air then snip off one corner. Use the bag to pipe the crab and cheese mixture into mushroom caps. Smoothe the tops with the back of a table knife.
- Place stuffed mushrooms on baking sheet and bake at 375°F for 15-20 minutes, until cheese is lightly browned and bubbling. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
Pin Three Cheese and Crab Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe