This Fresh Corn and Tomato Salad is such a crowd-pleaser! Maybe it’s the addition of crunch from green beans or the creamy, tangy bites of fresh mozzarella, or the zing from the Cilantro Lime Dressing.
Whatever the reason, it’s one of the first dishes my guests devour whenever I serve it at our Fourth of July party.
Fresh Corn and Tomato Salad
With a salad like this, it’s tough to pick out one star of the flavor parade. It’s all so fresh!
And that freshness is the key: you need to make this with vegetables that have never been frozen, and that includes the corn.
It’s a One-Pot Wonder
The trick to making this quickly is using the same pot of water to boil the corn and blanch the green beans. It’s a speedy process once you get the water going and the ears of corn shucked.
Just drop them in for 8 minutes or so and, while they cook, fill a clean sink or large bowl with ice water. Transfer the corn to that ice bath when it’s done, drop the green beans in for 3 minutes, and move them over to the ice water, too.
Prep the Rest While You Blanch
While the ice water stops the cooking, take a few minutes to slice the grape tomatoes and fresh mozzarella balls. Mince some red onion if you want it — we always do. Then drain the corn, slice it off the ears, and dump it along with the green beans, tomatoes, onion, and mozzarella into a large bowl.
Whir a handful of fresh cilantro — about 1 cup — plus two tablespoons of lime juice and two more tablespoons of olive oil in a blender. Taste and add more lime juice plus salt until you like the flavor. After that, toss it all together and chill.
Remember to Chill
This recipe is best served after an hour or two spent chilling in the refrigerator. It keeps well overnight, so you can make it the day before a potluck or BBQ party if you like.
Be sure to give it a good stir to redistribute the dressing, then garnish with a few fresh cilantro leaves and lime wedges before serving.
Roasted Corn and Tomato Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing
- 4 ears corn on the cob
- 1 pint grape tomatoes - halved
- 1/4 cup red onion - finely diced
- 8 oz. fresh green beans - cut in 1-inch pieces
- 4 oz. fresh mozzarella balls - halved
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp lime zest
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 cup fresh cilantro - (reserve a few leaves for garnish if desired)
- salt - to taste
Blanch the corn and beans
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Add the ears of corn and let them cook for 8 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare an ice bath in a clean sink or a very large bowl.
- When the corn is done, transfer it to the ice bath and add the green beans to the boiling water. Cook the beans for 3 minutes then transfer them to the ice bath.
- After 2 minutes, transfer the corn and green beans from the ice bath to paper towels to drain and dry.
Prepare the salad
- Slice the cooked corn off of the cobs.
- In a large serving bowl, combine the corn, tomatoes, onion, green beans, mozzarella balls, and lime zest.
Make the dressing
- In the bowl of a food processor or blender combine the olive oil, lime juice, and cilantro until emulsified.
Chill the salad
- Add the dressing to the salad in the serving bowl and combine well. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 1-2 hours to let flavors meld.
- Stir to redistribute dressing before serving. Garnish with reserved cilantro leaves and lime wedges if desired.
More of my recipes: