This recipe for Halibut and Creamy Parmesan Shrimp is ridiculously easy and takes 20 minutes from prep to plate. It’s also wonderfully delicious, low-carb, keto-friendly and gluten-free. What’s not to like about that?
Looking for an Easy Low-Carb Halibut Recipe?
Does your family do the Meatless Monday thing? Ours does, or at least we try to. But we also try to limit carbs, especially the refined type, so meat-free meals can be challenging.
With this halibut recipe and a leafy green side dish, we can skip the meat while staying low-carb. So, whether you’re looking for a keto recipe for Meatless Monday, trying to eat more fish, or advance-planning for an impressive meal to serve guests, this one’s a winner!
How to Quickly Defrost Fish
Defrost frozen fish and shellfish in the refrigerator overnight if possible. If you forget, don’t panic! Put the fish into a resealable plastic bag, seal it tight, and submerge it in a bowl of cool water for 15-20 minutes. Weight it down with a small plate if necessary, and change the water every 5 minutes. You can defrost all types of fish and shrimp this way. Avoid using warm water for rapid defrosting or you’ll start cooking the fish in the process.
Why Freshly-Grated Parmesan Cheese is Better
Although pre-shredded Parmesan is convenient, bit it’s tossed with cellulose to prevent clumping, and that keeps it from melting into the creamy, luxuriant sauce that sends this halibut recipe over the top. So either grate your Parmesan at home, or look for one with no additives.
Halibut with Creamy Parmesan Shrimp Sauce
- Baking dish
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowl
- Mixing spoon
- Preheat oven to 450°F / 200°C / gas mark 6.
- Liberally season the fish with salt and pepper and place it in a greased baking dish.
- Chop the shrimp and transfer it to a bowl. Add the melted butter, sour cream, Parmesan cheese, and garlic. Stir in half of the minced parsley. Spread the shrimp mixture evenly over the halibut filets.
- Bake at 450°F for 12 minutes. Halibut is done when the center flakes easily with a fork. To brown the top, turn the oven to broil and cook for 2-3 more minutes. Garnish with remaining minced parsley before serving.