Time to read:2 minutes
This homemade pita chip recipe works well with store-bought pita, or make your own using the homemade whole wheat pita bread recipe that I shared last week.
Although my family loves pita sandwiches, the truth is we love homemade pita chips even more! Buying the prepackaged kind got expensive since my guys will polish off an entire bag, leaving me none.
So one of my first projects after learning to make homemade pita bread was turning that into homemade pita chips. Sure, they still chow down like crazy but now I know to double, and sometimes even triple the amount of pita bread I make so I can freeze extras to make chips when we run out.
Homemade Pita Chips Recipe
These are excellent on their own or use them in place of potato chips with one of these great dips:
A batch of this homemade pita chips recipe will stay crisp for 2-3 days in an airtight container. But, if your family goes through homemade pita chips like mine does, you can easily make several batches and freeze them. To serve, defrost and re-crisp them in a 350°F oven for 2-3 minutes.
Homemade Pita Chips
- 4 whole wheat pita bread rounds
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher or sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- ½ teaspoon sesame or poppy seeds optional
- Preheat oven to 375 F / 190 C / gas mark 5. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat mat.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil and seasonings. Brush both sides of each pita bread with seasoned oil mixture. Sprinkle one side with seeds, if using.
- Cut pita rounds into 8 wedges each and arrange them in a single layer on the baking sheet. Make sure they don't overlap!
- Bake for 7-10 minutes, watching closely. Remove from the oven when their edges begin to turn golden brown and cool on a wire rack.