Knowing how to make Montreal steak seasoning can ramp up the flavor of that steak you’re grilling for the Fourth of July. As with many homemade spice mixes like DIY Mrs. Dash or taco seasoning, it’s less expensive to make your own if you already own the spices and, if you don’t, it’s worth buying fresh spices to make it so you can adjust the ingredients to suit your own palate.
Montreal Steak Seasoning Recipe
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic or garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon granulated onion or onion powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, crushed
- Combine ingredients in a bowl.
- Transfer to a shaker jar using a funnel.
- Store in a cool, dry place.
Now, you can certainly just sprinkle this on your steak before grilling and maybe add a little more after the meat rests if you like. But to really get that steakhouse flavor, make it into a marinade.
Montreal Steak Marinade
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
4 tablespoons of this Montreal steak seasoning mix
Combine the ingredients in a bowl and pour into a resealable plastic bag (or use the marinate setting on your vacuum sealer). Add your steak and remove as much air from the bag as possible, then let the steak marinate for at least an hour — overnight is even better! Be sure to turn the bag at least once so the steak marinates evenly.
Don’t limit yourself to just using it on steak, either. You can mix it into ground beef to give burgers a punch of flavor or sprinkle it on chicken, veggie kebabs, even fish!
Equipment I Use For This: