This Instant Pot Mexican Pulled Pork Tacos Recipe is one that I’ve made since the first week I bought my Instant Pot. Like many new owners, I was drawn in by the promise of easy, speedy dinners — but I didn’t know many recipes suitable for pressure cooking.
So, I began experimenting.
Some things turned out horribly, like my attempt to make a huge pot of oatmeal which resulted in a gummy, tasteless mess. Honestly, it’s easier to make that on the stove. It wasn’t long before long I was hooked on making Instant Pot dinners.
Then one Taco Tuesday, I decided to try my hand at making pork tacos. I am so glad I gave it a try!
This recipe turned out wonderfully and immediately became a family favorite. I’ve been making them almost every week since because we love them so much.
Instant Pot Mexican Pulled Pork Recipe
A Fast, Easy Instant Pot Taco Recipe
The other night when I made these, I decided to post a photo in a few recipe-sharing groups that I belong to on Facebook. The number of requests for the recipe was overwhelming!
So, even though these are just shots I took of my dinner plate while it was on the kitchen counter, I figured I’d go ahead and share it with you. Pardon the iPhone photos — I’m sure your meal will look even more lovely.
For those who like to make extra food to freeze, you’ll want to add this recipe to your rotation.
- After cooling to room temperature, pop the meat along with any remaining liquids from the bottom of the pot, into a resealable freezer bag.
- Squeeze out all the air before sealing and label the container.
- Defrost as-is in the refrigerator overnight or remove it from the bag to defrost in the microwave.
Turn Leftovers into Soup
If you have any leftovers, they’re easily turned into soup with the addition of a few more ingredients.
- 2 cups chicken broth
- A 15-oz. can of diced tomatoes, drained
- A handful of chopped onion
- A handful or two of corn or hominy kernels
- More taco seasoning or a splash of hot sauce as desired.
You can do this on the stove by bringing it to a boil then simmering for 20 minutes. Or, add it all to the Instant Pot along with the leftover Mexican Pulled Pork and use the soup setting to cook it quickly. Not in a rush? Switch to the slow cooker setting (with the vent open) if you aren’t in a rush.
It’s so versatile!
Instant Pot Mexican Pulled Pork Tacos
- Instant Pot
Mexican Pulled Pork
- 2 lbs pork loin frozen is fine — it will just take longer for your Instant Pot to reach full pressure
- 4 tbsp taco seasoning (Link is a homemade taco seasoning recipe)
- 1 cup water
- 12 flour tortillas
- 1 tbsp cheddar cheese finely shredded
- tomato chopped (optional)
- fresh cilantro (coriander) leaves only (optional)
- red onion minced (optional)
- avocado chopped (optional)
- lime wedges optional (optional)
- Pour the water in the bottom of the Instant Pot. Rub the taco seasoning mix over every surface of the pork loin. Put the pork into the Instant Pot directly on the bottom (no rack) — cut it in half if necessary to make it fit. Sprinkle any remaining taco seasoning over the pork.
- Put the Instant Pot lid on and make sure it’s set to seal. Using the MANUAL setting, set the time for 60 minutes.
- Once the 60 minutes is up, let the Instant Pot pressure naturally release until there's no noise when you move the steam release valve to vent. (Approximately 10-15 minutes.)
- Remove the lid, shred the pork with two large forks, and give it a good stir before serving. Scoop the shredded pork onto soft flour tortillas and garnish with toppings. Add a squeeze of lime if you like.
- How to Clean Your Instant Pot
- Round Steak Roulades Recipe — Oven or Instant Pot
- Crockpot Cornish Hens Recipe