You need only three ingredients to make tender Mexican pulled pork in your Instant Pot. Try it with your favorite taco toppings on tortillas and turn leftovers into Tex-Mex soup.
I started making this recipe in my Instant Pot within days of getting it. (Here’s the one I bought.) Like most IP fans, the promise of speedy homemade dinners lured me in. Then I realized that I didn’t know many pressure cooker recipes. So, I began experimenting.
Some results were disgusting, like my attempt at making a pot of oatmeal that produced a thick, gummy mess. Lesson learned: it’s easiest to make that on the stove. But other recipes amazed, like these spinach and cheese-stuffed Round Steak Roulades.
So, I went on an Instant Pot dinner-making binge. Then on Taco Tuesday, I decided to try my hand at making Mexican pulled pork for a soft taco filling. It was such a hit that it is part of our regular meal rotation. Now it can be part of yours.
Instant Pot Mexican Pulled Pork Recipe
A Fast, Easy Instant Pot Taco Recipe
After making this Mexican Pulled Pork, I shared it with some foodie groups I belong to on Facebook. The DMs requesting the recipe blew up my notifications!
Days later, the compliments from those who’d enjoyed the recipe poured in. That’s when I knew I simply had to share it with you, too. I’m sure it will become one of your favorites as well.
For those who like to make extra food to freeze, here are some tips.
- Wait until the meat has cooled to room temperature. Then, pop it along with any remaining liquids into a resealable freezer bag.
- Squeeze out all the air before sealing. Remember to label the container!
- Defrost as-is in the refrigerator overnight or remove it from the bag to defrost in the microwave.
Turn Leftovers into Soup
If you have any leftovers, you can turn them into soup with the addition of a few more ingredients.
- Leftover Mexican Pulled Pork (at least 2 cups)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- A 15-oz. can of diced tomatoes, drained
- A handful or two of corn or hominy kernels
- A handful of chopped onion (optional)
- A couple of sliced jalapeños (optional)
- More taco seasoning or a splash of hot sauce as desired.
Make the soup on the stove by bringing it to a boil then simmering for 20 minutes. Or, add it all to the Instant Pot and use the soup setting. Not in a rush? Switch to the slow cooker setting (with the vent open) and set the timer for 2 hours on high or 4 on low. (Related: How to Clean Your Instant Pot.)
Instant Pot Mexican Pulled Pork Tacos
- Instant Pot
Mexican Pulled Pork
- 2 lbs pork loin frozen is fine — it will just take longer for your Instant Pot to reach full pressure
- 4 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 cup water
- 12 flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tomato chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro (coriander) leaves only (optional)
- 1/4 cup red onion minced (optional)
- 1 medium avocado chopped (optional)
- lime wedges optional (optional)
- Pour the water in the bottom of the Instant Pot. Rub a thick layer of the taco seasoning mix into the pork loin. Put the pork into the Instant Pot directly on the bottom (no rack) — cut it in half if necessary to make it fit. Sprinkle any remaining taco seasoning over the pork.
- Put the Instant Pot lid on and make sure it's set to seal. Using the MANUAL setting, set the time for 60 minutes.
- Once the 60 minutes is up, let the Instant Pot pressure naturally release until there is no noise when you move the steam release valve to vent. (Approximately 10-15 minutes.)
- Remove the lid, shred the pork with two large forks, and give it a good stir before serving. Scoop the shredded pork onto soft flour tortillas and garnish with toppings. Add a squeeze of lime if you like.