This Bacon Garlic Cheddar Crackers recipe gets rave responses every time.
If you serve these savory homemade crackers to friends or guests, have copies of the recipe on hand because you will be asked for it.
And then, my friends, you will be asked to bring these to every get-together. I do.
Bacon Garlic Cheddar Crackers
When it comes to snacking, I prefer crunchy treats. The more flavor they pack, the better. Homemade pita chips, potato chips, pretzels, and crackers are my weakness. But, like everyone else these days, I’m trying to limit my consumption of commercially-processed food.
With these, I can satisfy my need for salty, crunchy snacks without feeling too guilty. At least not for the first few that I eat. Unfortunately, stopping at just a couple has proven impossible. They are so good.
There are just two things to know in advance, so you make the best Bacon Garlic Cheddar Crackers possible.
Cold Ingredients are Key
To make crunchy, flaky crackers you need cold ingredients.
- Cube the butter and then pop it into the freezer while you cook the bacon.
- Once the bacon is crisp, pat it with paper towels to remove excess grease, then chop it well. Put the chopped bacon in the fridge for a couple of minutes.
- Work quickly once you start the recipe, so everything stays cold until it goes into the oven.
Use a Good Quality Cheese
Use sharp cheddar for this recipe, not mild, so you can really taste the cheese. With the addition of bacon and garlic, mild cheddar will be overwhelmed.
Do not use pre-shredded cheese. It’s tossed with cellulose to prevent clumping in the bag. The cellulose also keeps it from melting properly in recipes. Shred your own with a cheese grater or in the food processor.
Now, don’t say I haven’t warned you: they’re addictive!
Bacon Garlic Cheddar Crackers
- Food processor
- Parchment paper or silicone baking mats
- Cooling racks
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup butter cubed and well-chilled
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 8 slices bacon cooked well and chopped
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400° F / 200° C / gas mark 6.
- In a food processor, pulse the flour, baking powder, garlic powder, seasoned salt, and cayenne until well-combined.
- Add butter cubes to food processor and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. (About 20 times.)
- Transfer the flour mixture to a large bowl and mix in the crumbled bacon and shredded cheese. Add buttermilk and stir just until the dough forms a soft, cohesive ball. Place the dough in the freezer while you get the pan ready.
- Measure a piece of parchment paper to fit your cookie sheet, or get out your silicone baking mat. Remove ¼ of the dough from the freezer and put it on the parchment paper or baking mat.
- Cover your dough with parchment or another baking mat and roll out until it’s 1/4-inch (6.5mm) thickness. Remove the top piece of parchment and, using a butter knife, trim the edges of the dough. Score the remaining dough into 1-inch squares.
- Bake 12-15 minutes, rotating the baking sheet halfway through. Remove from the oven when the edges begin to turn golden brown. (You may need to remove crackers on the outer edges before the rest if they cook faster.)
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let it sit for 2 minutes, then transfer the crackers to a wire rack to cool. Allow cookie sheet to cool, then repeat with remaining dough until it’s all used.
Wait until crackers are completely cooled to room temperature before storing.
In the cupboard: Keep them in an air-tight container and eat them within three days.
In the freezer: These can be frozen for up to 2 months. Unwrap before defrosting. Once defrosted, put them in a 400°F oven on a baking sheet for two minutes. Let them cool on wire racks before serving.