Time to read:3 minutes
This Lemon Blueberry Bread recipe is one of my greatest food weaknesses. See, even though it’s considered bread, with that lemony sugar glaze on top, it’s almost like a cake.
And, since blueberries are full of antioxidants, I can come up with a dozen reasons to have just one more piece until, whoops, I’ve eaten the whole thing!
Lemon Blueberry Bread Recipe
Fortunately, this recipe freezes well, so now I make it in smaller pans and stash the extras to help me resist temptation. Those smaller loaves make great gifts, too! Cover them with foil then wrap them twice in cling wrap before freezing them, so you always have some on hand.
When you want to take a welcome gift to a new neighbor, send a thank you to your child’s teacher, or just brighten someone’s day, all you have to do is unwrap and defrost them.
You can make this recipe with all-purpose flour instead of whole wheat if you prefer. You won’t need to change any of the ingredients. If you do make the recipe with whole wheat, as I did, please don’t substitute ingredients (like swapping applesauce for the butter, etc.) The butter, baking soda, and regular milk all work to lighten the whole wheat flour, so the loaf comes out moist and delicate.
Using frozen blueberries is fine, though. Be sure to drain them well then toss them with a tablespoon of flour before folding them into the batter. That trick keeps the berries from sinking to the bottom of your loaf while it bakes. After all, we want blueberries in every bite, don’t we?
Lemon Blueberry Bread Recipe
A sweet, delicious bread to enjoy with a cup of tea. Be sure to make and freeze extras to enjoy!
Whole Wheat Lemon Blueberry Bread
For the bread
- 1½ cups white whole wheat flour I used Bob's Red Mill unbleached white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. table salt
- 6 tbsps. unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2 tbsp. lemon zest
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup milk room temperature
- 1½ cups blueberries frozen is fine, but thaw and drain them
For the glaze
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 325°F / 165°C / gas mark 3 and thoroughly grease a loaf pan.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or using a beater, blend the butter and sugar well. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring well after each. Add the lemon zest and vanilla extract.
- With the mixer going on low, alternate adding the dry ingredients and the milk. Turn the mixer off and fold in the blueberries by hand. (Note: if you're using previously frozen blueberries, toss them with a tablespoon of flour to keep them from sinking to the bottom.)
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and smooth the top with the back of a spoon. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (About 75 minutes.) Remove from the oven and wait 5 minutes, then transfer it from the pan to a baking rack to cool. Top with glaze once it's entirely cooled.
- Carefully whisk the confectioner's sugar into the lemon juice, stirring well to dissolve all lumps. Spread or drizzle onto completely cooled loaf.
Pin this Lemon Blueberry Bread recipe