This Homemade Breakfast Sausage Recipe came about because I didn’t like what I saw listed as the ingredients in the store-bought stuff.
WHAT’S IN THAT STUFF?
It turns out that pork sausage from the grocery store isn’t entirely pork! Other ingredients include: mechanically separated meat (also known as “white slime“, the cousin of the “pink slime” that made headlines in 2013); sodium lactate (salt made from lactic acid); sodium phosphates (another salt that’s been associated with permanent kidney damage); dextrose (a form of sugar); sugar (more sugar); MSG (another salt); sodium diacetate (still more salt!); and BHT (a preservative primarily used in cosmetics).
Does that sound like an excellent start to the day? I didn’t think so, either, and that’s why I came up with this homemade breakfast sausage recipe. It’s so simple that there are only three components: pork, sea salt, and spices.
Homemade Breakfast Sausage Recipe
Shape as Desired
I’ve made this as sausage patties, links, and crumbles. Patties are easy: shape them as you would hamburgers, just thinner. To do sausage links, you’ll need a sausage stuffer and casings. I use the stuffer attachment for my Kitchen-Aid Stand Mixer. For crumbles, fry it up like you would ground or mince beef.
Make Extra to Freeze
I usually make several pounds of the mixture at a time. Patties and links can be frozen cooked for quick reheating, or freeze them individually on a baking sheet and pop them into a resealable plastic bag. Cooked, crumbled breakfast sausage freezes well in a resealable bag, too — flatten it for faster defrosting in the future.
This recipe will give you all the taste you’re used to from the commercial stuff without the white slime, preservatives, and shockingly vast amounts of salt.
Perfect in Biscuits and Gravy
Here in the Midwest, we love biscuits and gravy for breakfast. This homemade breakfast sausage works perfectly — crumble it into a frying pan and brown as you would ground beef, then follow your favorite sausage gravy recipe. Or use it in these Jimmy Dean copycat Homemade Breakfast Bowls.
Homemade Breakfast Sausage
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Combine all ingredients by hand until well-mixed.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Shape by hand into 2-inch balls and flatten into patties. Fry for 3-4 minutes per side until done. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain grease before serving.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage to hot pan and break into crumbles using a spatula or wooden spoon. Continue cooking over medium-high heat, frequently stirring, until thoroughly cooked. Drain grease before use.