Looking for a great game day appetizer or to recreate your favorite sports bar snack at home? This restaurant-quality stuffed potato skins recipe makes perfectly seasoned spuds with crispy exteriors, smoky bits of bacon, and loads of melted cheese topped with a dollop of sour cream.
Make Ahead Tips for Stuffed Potato Skins
There’s no reason to knock yourself out on Game Day making these. I like to bake a bunch of potatoes the day before and scoop the flesh out while they’re warm. Stack the skins in a container or spread them out on a baking tray and refrigerate them overnight. The next day, brush the skins inside out with the oil and spice mixture, bake until they’re slightly crispy, then stuff and bake them some more. Delish!
Our Favorite Appetizers for Game Day
My family enjoys getting together with friends to watch football, but for me it’s all about the food. With their big flavors and satisfying combination of potatoes and cheese, these Stuffed Potato Skins always steal the show. But I have a few other recipes our guests always request, too:
Printable Stuffed Potato Skins Recipe
- 4 potatoes large Russets
- 2 tbsp sea salt divided
- 1/4 cup olive oil divided
- 2 tablespoon Parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese finely shredded
- 2 green onions sliced (whites and greens separated)
- sour cream optional
- chives minced (optional)
Bake the potatoes
- Put the racks on the top and middle third of the oven. Put a cookie sheet on the bottom rack. Preheat the oven to 400°F / 200° C / gas mark 6.
- Wash the potatoes. Dry very well with a towel. Using a fork, poke each potato 10 times.
- In a bowl, combine 1 tbsp. olive oil and 1 tbsp. sea salt. Add the potatoes and mix so each potato is coated with oil and salt. Place the potatoes on the top rack over the cookie sheet and bake for 1 hour.
Make the filling
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining oil, Parmesan cheese, salt, and spices. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chopped bacon, cheddar cheese, and minced white parts of the green onions.
Make the skins
- Remove the cookie sheet from the oven. Set aside. Increase the oven temperature to 475°F / 245°C / gas mark 7.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle (about 15 minutes), carefully slice them lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop the flesh out of each potato leaving a 1/4 edge on the bottom and sides. (Discard or use for another purpose.)
- Brush the inside of the skins with the oil and spice mixture then turn them upside down and place them on the cookie sheet. Brush the outside of the skins and bake cut side down for 6 minutes. Turn cut-side up and bake an additional 6 minutes.
- Remove the skins from the oven and stuff with the bacon-cheese mixture. Return them to the cookie sheet and bake for 3 to 4 minutes, until cheese is melted and begins to bubble.
- Sprinkle with the minced green parts of the green onions. Top with sour cream and minced chives if desired.
What do you like in your Stuffed Potato Skins? If you’ve got a variation to share, I’d love to hear about it!