Not a fan of leftover pot roast? Turn it into this quick and easy roast beef sandwich spread full of savory, filling flavor.
No matter how thinly I slice it, or how carefully I reheat it, leftover pot roast never tastes good. But, with the price of beef these days (and its increasing scarcity), who wants to throw it out?
That’s why I came up with this Roast Beef Sandwich Spread, which my family is wild about. Whether you like meaty, chunky sandwiches, or prefer yours creamy but filled with great taste, this easy recipe is a fantastic way to use leftover roast beef for lunch or snacks.
Roast Beef Sandwich Spread Recipe
How Do You Like Your Sandwiches?
Are you old enough to remember the Underwood sandwich spreads that come in paper-wrapped cans? Old-fashioned, I know. But for some of us, there’s a bit of school lunch nostalgia behind those sandwiches.
So, the first few times I tinkered with my Roast Beef Sandwich Spread recipe, I whirred the ingredients in my food processor to get that same creamy smoothness. It was good, of course, but I guess my tastes have changed. I like a bit more texture to sandwiches these days.
So one day, I decided to skip the food processor and just chop the ingredients by hand. Oh, baby, was it good! Fresh chunks of celery and dill pickle combine with zingy bites of onion and tender roast beef. Yum! To me, that’s a cravable combination. (Related: Muffaletta Sandwich Recipe.)
Try it both ways and tell me which one you like best!
This Roast Beef Sandwich Spread is excellent for sandwiches, of course, but here are some other great ways to enjoy it.
- Spread it on crackers
- Use it in tortilla wraps
- Go low-carb and wrap it in Romaine lettuce leaves
- Add a scoop on top of a green salad
- Spoon it into celery sticks
- Stuff it into hollowed tomatoes
This recipe tastes bests when eaten within three days, though I’ve had it five days later and needed to add a bit more mayo. I wouldn’t serve it beyond that since leftover pot roast only stays good for so long.
Roast Beef Sandwich Spread
- 1 lb. cooked roast beef
- ½ cup yellow onion chopped
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 2 spears dill pickle chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise or combination of mayo and Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons prepared creamy horseradish
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley minced (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine roast beef, onions, celery and chopped pickles in a medium bowl.
- Stir in mayonnaise, horseradish, onion powder, and garlic powder. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in minced parsley if using.