Need a quick weeknight dinner? Your whole family will love this easy seafood and noodles stir-fry recipe that’s ready in just 20 minutes.
Lately, cooking dinner feels like I’m a contestant in an episode of Chopped. To minimize trips to the store, I’ve been scheduling two and sometimes three weeks of meals at a time. Then I check the pantry and fridge to see what we already have before ordering pickup from Walmart or Kroger’s, depending on where the best sale is that week. (Related: Pantry Staples to Keep on Hand.)
But, it always turns out the store is out of something I’ve ordered. That’s what led to this seafood and noodles stir-fry recipe.
See, sometimes the store will substitute items from my list if they’re out of something, but sometimes they don’t. Other times, they include random things that someone else probably ordered, but I did not. That’s what happened several weeks ago when they included imitation crab in my order, but none of the ingredients for the spaghetti dinner I’d planned — except for the noodles.
Easy Seafood and Noodles Stir-Fry Recipe
Let me tell you, having a hungry 20-year-old hovering in the kitchen is a lot like having Ted Allen from Chopped telling you how much time’s left on the clock.
So, to speed things up, I grabbed one of my favorite kitchen gadgets: this julienne peeler. It makes quick work of prepping the cabbage and carrots. If you don’t have the greatest knife skills, I highly recommend getting one!
The rest of the recipe for Seafood and Noodles Stir-Fry is all straight-forward. Slice some mushrooms, celery, and the white part of green onions. Boil some noodles. Whisk some cornstarch, chicken broth, and a splash of soy sauce together. Stir-fry the veg with the garlic, toss in the noodles, imitation seafood and sauce, and let it all bubble and thicken. Then serve it up. Who knows, your family might even applaud.
Seafood and Noodles Stir-Fry
- Julienne peeler (optional)
- Soup pot for noodles
- Colander or strainer
- Cutting board
- Large skillet
- Small bowl
- Whisk or fork
For the noodles
- 5 quarts water
- 16 ounces spaghetti noodles – uncooked
- 1 tbsp salt
For the stir-fry
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 fresh baby portabello mushrooms – sliced
- 1 cup green cabbage – julienned or shredded
- 1 stalk celery – sliced thinly
- 2 large carrots – julienned or shredded
- 2 cloves garlic – minced
- 2 green onions – sliced (white parts only)
- 16 ounces imitation crab
For the sauce
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 3/4 cup chicken broth – cold or room temperature
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
Make the Noodles
- Bring 5 quarts water to boil in a large pot. Add salt and noodles, then stir. Cook the noodles al dente according to package directions. (Usually 8-10 minutes.)
- While you're waiting for the noodle water to boil, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and swirl the pan to coat.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until they begin to release their water. (About 4 minutes.)
- Add the cabbage, celery, carrots, onions, and garlic. Cook until the vegetables begin to soften (about 3 minutes) but don't let the garlic burn.
- In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch, chicken broth and soy sauce together.
- Strain the noodles and add them to the skillet.
- Stir the imitation seafood into the skillet.
- Pour the sauce over the seafood noodles and vegetables and toss everything together well. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the sauce is thickened (about 3 minutes).
- Divide between four plates and serve.