Time to read:2 minutes
This hanging shoe organizer idea has changed my family’s morning routine for the better. In the past, we’d hurry out the door only to return at least once (and quite often several times) to grab something one of us had forgotten. It was frustrating, and it made for some very bitter rides to school.
Then one day when I was cleaning out my closet, I came across an old hanging shoe organizer that we were no longer using. That’s when inspiration struck: if those pockets can hold shoes, surely they can hold other things, too? Up it went in the coat closet by the door leading to the garage, the very same closet we pass every morning on our way out and again when we return home.
Starting the very next morning, our departures began growing smoother. By the end of a week, we were leaving the house without forgetting anything. By the end of a month, we’d even learned to put our stuff back into the hanger when returning home.
So, if your family members (or you) spend mornings hunting frantically for keys, wallets and whatever else they need to take with them when they leave the house, this is organization tip is for you!
Our Hanging Shoe Organizer Uses
Here are some of the things we stash in our hanging organizer, which we call the “Out The Door Holder”.
- Outgoing mail.
- Restaurant coupon books.
- Signed permissions slips and money for field trips.
- Spare keys to our vehicles, so we know where they are.
- Lint rollers for quick clothing touch-ups.
- Cameras to capture memories when we’re going somewhere fun.
- Spare batteries and memory cards for the cameras.
- Sunscreen, because we’d otherwise forget to take it.
- Winter hats, mittens and scarves.
- A flashlight in case the power goes out and we need to see in the garage.
Since we’re now in the habit of using our “Out the Door Holder” when we leave, even on short errands, it’s also a great place to clip shopping lists and reminders, along with the occasional love note to my husband or kids.